Annual net land-atmosphere carbon flux and net flux of carbon to the atmosphere due to land-use and land-use change (LULUC) are estimated using an integrated assessment model and three historical reconstructions of land use and land use conversion. The data span 1800-2010 and are aggregated for nine regions of the globe.
The following was contributed by Prasanth Meiyappan (U Illinois), March, 2013:
The file contains historical estimates (1800-2010) of annual net land-atmosphere carbon flux and net flux of carbon to atmosphere due to land-use and land-use change (LULUC) as calculated using three distinct historical reconstructions of LULUC based on Meiyappan and Jain (2012).
1. Carbon estimates using Multiple data sets using a single model, allows to isolate and study LULUC data uncertainty from model related uncertainty.
2. The estimates include the effects of nitrogen cycle, which is relatively new for current generation of land-surface models.
3. This is the first time Houghton's regional data used in book-keeping model is used within a spatially explicit model to estimate carbon emissions (see article for details).
4. The estimates include the combined effect of agricultural expansion (cropland and pastureland), urban land and wood harvest.
1. The estimates are obviously subject to model uncertainties. How much the results would differ if the same LULUC data sets are used with a different model is a question to address.
2. It should be noted that while comparing with other studies, uncertainties could also arise due to difference in implementation of same land-use change data in the model apart from uncertainties due to structural differences in model.
2. Several key processes contributing to terrestrial carbon emissions (e.g. peat lands, shifting cultivation) are not included in these estimates, due to lack of data at a global scale.
1. Primarily for model and data inter-comparison studies. This data forms a integral component in the Carbon Cycle chapter of the upcoming IPCC Fifth Assessment Report.
2. Uncertainty quantification.#
Click the thumbnails to view larger sizes
|The emission estimates are provided for 9 regions covering the entire globe. Contributed by P. Meiyappan.|
|ISAM estimated global land-use emissions for the period 1900-2010 (GtC/yr) based on ISAM-HYDE, ISAM-RF and ISAM-HH data sets. Contributed by P. Meiyappan.|
|ISAM estimated net land-atmosphere carbon flux for the period 1900-2010 (GtC/yr) based on ISAM-HYDE, ISAM-RF and ISAM-HH data sets. Contributed by P. Meiyappan.|
Meiyappan, Prasanth & National Center for Atmospheric Research Staff (Eds). Last modified 27 Feb 2017. "The Climate Data Guide: Carbon Emissions from Historical Land-Use and Land-Use Change ." Retrieved from https://climatedataguide.ucar.edu/climate-data/carbon-emissions-historical-land-use-and-land-use-change.